Skip to product information
1 of 2

Paper Plane Coffee Co.

MUXBAL, HONEY PROCESSED, CHIAPAS MEXICO

MUXBAL, HONEY PROCESSED, CHIAPAS MEXICO

Regular price $17.99 USD
Regular price Sale price $17.99 USD
Sale Sold out
Purchase Options
Delivery Frequency
Here's how it works:
These prices don't include taxes or other fees. This subscription auto-renews. It can be skipped or cancelled at anytime.
View subscription policy
Powered by

NOTE: We offer the choice of ground coffee, however strongly believe our coffee is best enjoyed freshly ground before brewing. Good coffee grinders can be inexpensive and convenient. 

TASTING NOTES
CLEMENTINES, HONEYDEW, MACADAMIAS 
ORIGIN
MEXICO 
REGION

CHIAPAS 
VARIETY
CATURRA, CATUAI, MUNDO NOVO
ALTITUDE
1,500 METERS
PROCESS METHOD
HONEY 

ABOUT

 

When the Rodríguez family acquired Muxbal Estate in 1959, they faced a rugged challenge: no road led to the farm, requiring a strenuous climb up the mountain just to reach it. Upon arrival, they encountered a humble scene - three buildings stood amidst the wilderness, one overrun by pigs and chickens, and the others, wet and dry mills, in a state of disrepair. Undeterred, the family set to work. They refurbished the dilapidated house and embarked on the arduous task of replanting the barren land with coffee saplings.

Progress was slow but steady. By 1965, a mule track facilitated the transportation of coffee down from the farm, marking a modest milestone. A year later, Enrique Rodríguez forged a partnership with local authorities to pave a road to Unión Juárez, a venture culminating in the completion of the thoroughfare in 1979.

Today, Jorge Rodríguez proudly shares the fruits of his family's labor with the world, offering a glimpse into the thriving enterprise that once rose from humble beginnings. Situated at 1560 meters atop a plateau near the Tacaná volcano, Muxbal spans 236 hectares, with 60% dedicated to the cultivation of Catuai and Mondo Novo varieties. The remaining 40% serves as an ecological sanctuary, safeguarding rainforests, rivers, springs, and diverse flora and fauna.

Benefiting from fertile volcanic soil, meticulous environmental stewardship, ample shade coverage, and a unique microclimate, Muxbal embodies the epitome of ideal coffee cultivation conditions. However, the estate's commitment extends beyond mere agricultural excellence. Embracing both environmental and social responsibility, Muxbal provides essential amenities for its workforce, including a kitchen, dining room, housing, and even schooling for children during peak seasons. In this harmonious ecosystem, every member of the community is nurtured and valued, reflecting the enduring legacy of the Rodríguez family's vision and dedication.

View full details